SWAPO PARTY CONSTITUTION
The name of the party is the SWAPO PARTY, hereinafter to be referred to as SWAPO PARTY. The National Headquarters of the Party shall be situated in the Capital City of the Republic of Namibia.
SWAPO PARTY is a mass based political Party born and selected in the crucible of a popular and heroic struggle for national independence. It is founded on the principles of democracy, solidarity, freedom, social justice and progress.
(1) Whereas the Namibian people have emerged victorious from the struggle against colonialism;
(2) Whereas Namibia has taken its rightful place among the free nations of the world as a sovereign state;
(3) Whereas the establishment of a democratic political system in the country has brought the role of political parties from the back of the burner to primacy of place in our nationís political life;
(4) Whereas a political party is an important agency in a modern society for the articulation societyís aspirations, developmental goals, objectives, and political communication for the training of future political leaders;
(5) Whereas the process of democratization of the Namibian society and elimination from it of the pernicious of the apartheid past;
(6) Whereas the Namibian people have a strong desire to strengthen the unity of the nation and the independence of the country through common consensus of democratic values and patriotism;
(7) Whereas the mobilization of the productive energies of the masses of the Namibian people is the critical factor in the reconstruction of our society; and
(8) Whereas the exploitation of one person by another, individual or as a class, including gender inequality, is unacceptable in an independent and democratic Namibia;
B. Now, therefore, SWAPO PARTY declares its aims and objectives as follows:
(1) to unite the people of Namibia, irrespective of race, religion, sex, or ethnic origin into a democratic, vibrant and peace-loving nation;
(2) to defend and protect Namibiaís hard-won freedom and independence;
(3) to foster a sense of common purpose and collective destiny among the Namibian people;
(4) to combat retrogressive tendencies of tribalism, ethnicity, nepotism, racism, sexism, chauvinism, regionalism, personality cult, etc.;
(5) to instill in the Namibian people a spirit of patriotism and to develop in them the consciousness that they are masters of the own destiny;
(6) to educate the people to uphold, with honour and pride, Namibiaís emblems which constitute the symbols of the countryís sovereignty, the constitution, the national flag, the national anthem, the coat of arms, etc.;
(7) to promote the development of the culture of the Namibian people through the reconstruction of the nationís system of education, the encouragement of cultural exchanges with other nations as well as incentives to Namibians who show potential for technological and artistic creativity;
(8) to ensure that Namibia works, on the one hand, in close cooperation with other African states, to advance the cause of African unity and, with all the other states to promote world peace and security, on the other;
(9) to fight under development, poverty, illiteracy and disease;
(10) to promote accelerated economic development and to create a balance and interlinkages between the primary and the secondary sectors of our economy in order to promote self-reliance and the upliftment of the standard of living of the vast majority of the Namibian people;
(11) to invest by way of acquiring shares or otherwise in any viable business, venture or enterprise; and
(12) to establish companies, close corporations and any other business organization, either wholly owned by the PARTY or the PARTY in partnership with either organizations or institutions, with the view to generating funds necessary to ensure the smooth function and operations of the PARTY.
There shall be two categories of SWAPO PARTY membership:
(a) individual membership; and
(b) affiliate membership.
A. Individual Membership
(1) Membership of SWAPO Party shall be open to every Namibian citizen who accepts the aims and objective of SWAPO Party as set-out in Article III above and who, in addition is of the age 18 years and above and who is not a member of any other Political Party.
(2) A person wishing to become a member of SWAPO Party shall make his or her application and submit it to the Secretary of the appropriate Branch of the Party. He or she must be recommended by two members of the party who must have known him or her a minimum period of two (2) years.
(3) Upon admission to membership, a member shall pay and admission fee to the Party and a receipt thereof shall be given. The amount of the admission fee shall be determined from time by the Central Committee of SWAPO Party. In addition, he or she shall pay an annual membership fee that will also be determined from time by the Central Committee.
(4) Membership in SWAPO Party may be lost through:
(a) resignation, or
(b) expulsion under Article VI (13) and VII (10)
5. In the event of either resignation or expulsion, no refund of admission or membership fees shall be made.